It is advisable to report all accidents which occur on the public roadways to the appropriate police department. Do not move your vehicle, even if you are blocking traffic, until the officer arrives and can observe the scene.
However if you choose not to file a report, you must stop and exchange information when an accident occurs. Information to be exchanged should include:
- Name, address and phone number.
- Driver's license number.
- Vehicle make, model, color and license plate number.
- Insurance company and agent.
- Note the date, time, location and obtain information from anyone who may have witnessed the accident.
- Inquire about possible injuries.
Police departments generally do not take accident reports that occur on private property (parking lots). Exceptions to that are:
- If the accident results in injury to anyone involved,
- If one of the drivers is intoxicated,
- If the accident results in a hit and run, or
- If the accident is the result of reckless operation